Tuesday, February 28, 2017

"I love nice people"!

Elder C helping celebrate Elder Araujo's Birthday!!!
Hey Everybody!! 

How are you guys?! I hope you are all great and had a good week. Our week here was good too. A lot of work! It actually kind of ended on a sad note on Sunday though. I’ll get to that …  It’s crazy how fast time seems to be flying!!!

So last Monday night we had a family night at this older lady's house. She is a recent-convert of a few years and has a tough life. Her husband is baptized too but he has some problems. We taught a cool lesson on faith. And while I read some good Ether 12 scriptures, Elder Bair made this cool bracelet for her that represents her unbreakable faith. It was really nice to see her so happy. 

Tuesday night was great. We went to Kaique's to visit with him and his family. We actually wanted to talk to Erick, his 14 year old brother who came to church for the first time that Sunday. Kaique and his mom had been in a fight that day so it was a little tense there, but we still taught. Me, Elder Bair, Kaique and Erick all sat down together. We started to teach the Restoration and then it was great because Kaique took over without us asking. Recent-convert Kaique started to teach his brother the 1st lesson. I just sat in awe and watched as he bore his testimony about the prophet Joseph Smith. He needed a little help reciting the First Vision but it was way cool! Erick loved it and I smell future missionary in Kaique!! I hope so at least! That would be way cool. 

Another awesome experience was Wednesday afternoon when I was just reminded how there are still good, genuine people in the world. We had our lunch far away that day so we decided to stay in those areas far, for the day since we were already there. There was this food stand that we stopped at because I was hungry and it was pouring rain and there was protection there. We started to talk to the guy who worked there and instantly we felt a good feeling about him. Later his wife showed up and she too was awesome. We talked to them about our missions and the church and their lives. It was a great time to let the rain pass and to get to know awesome people. The only sad thing is that they live so far but we still are visiting them. I love nice people haha! 

Thursday night was a branch activity. Oh man, I thought people back home were competitive. But I had never seen Brasilians play games before like this in a big group. They took it to a whole new level. The funniest part was that the game was a Book of Mormon trivia game and everyone was still really into it. Imagine those close, heated, church ball games and multiply it by 10. That was Thursday night! But it was all in a fun, joking way. I loved it. Brasilians are funny and I love the members here a lot. I don't ever want to leave this area!

So Sunday. It was the first “not so great” Sunday of my time here in this area. Sunday morning at about 6:20 our cell rang. I picked up and it was the members with whom we had lunch planned for that day. They asked what time we would come for lunch and confused I said, "Um just noonish, after Church like usual?" Then the member said, "But there is no church today." We then learned some terrible news, a member of the ward who meets in our chapel too had been killed in a car accident the day before, and the funeral was at the chapel that day. I was in disbelief and went to tell the elders of that ward who we live with. They called their bishop right when we told them and he confirmed it. That we didn't have meetings for our units that day so the members were encouraged to go to a different ward in the area, and that it was true about the member. He then said, "actually I need your guys' help now, here at the chapel. Like come fast." So being 630 still we just threw on normal clothes without time to iron our others and left quickly. Bishop told us that it isn't allowed to have funerals at the church Sunday, but that the daughter of the lady who died called him the night before, sobbing and begging for it to be at the chapel and he said he couldn't say no. We got to the chapel and helped carry the casket in real quick. It was really sad. The only other people there were the lady's children and husband and when they saw us with the casket they lost it. I have never seen crying like that, ever. I hope I don't ever have to again, because it rips your heart out. The viewing was all morning with the funeral at 3. We sang in the choir which was spiritual but sad. It ws just kind of an emotionally draining day, especially because the woman died in such a tragic way. 

So this week we continued to play football for our exercise but now the two
Brasilians, Elder Araújo and Bitencourt come with us. We do a one QB and receiver vs a rusher and a corner. It is SOO fun and the two Brasilians are actually liking it! Elder Araújo is actually way good too, which I think is funny. But Friday we were playing and I went to cut during a route and totally ate it haha. Shredded up my knee and messed up my wrist again. So we went and I bought a wrist guard later that day. But don’t worry, it's already getting better. But I love playing and it is a great way to get our exercise in. 

Now on to a happier note! I'll end with the coolest experience of the week. One of our investigators, Wagner, had accepted a March 4th baptismal date. We were excited then Friday got a call from our ward mission leader saying Wagner was backing out. So we did Operation Rescue and had a lesson there that night. I felt really strongly we should talk about the Plan of Salvation. The entire lesson the Spirit was unbelievably strong. Then I talked about Grandma. I cried, a lot. But of joy because I know, I KNOW that I will see her again. I testified of that with all my soul and it was amazing. Wagner asked about his brother who died and if he would see him again. We said of course, if he does what he needs to here on Earth. It was great. This Saturday I hope he is all good!

I love you all! Have a great week!! 

Until March... 
Elder Spencer P. Christofferson

Liahona cover I found in our apartment with the Clarks on the front!! I was shocked.
My attempt at a cool photo
third is me and Erick (far left) and his friend at the activity thursday night. Erick is Kaiques brother
Eating birthday cake for Elder A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment