Tuesday, December 12, 2017

...let us go to and labour with our might..."




My little buddy Miguel
Hey Everybody!! 
How is everyone doing?! I am sure all is well! I hope all are getting excited for Christmas, or Natal here in Brasil! We are getting excited too even though the weather is getting hotter in place of cooling down. I hope somewhere in the USA it is cold! HAHA! This week was another great one here in São Cristóvão! I was a little worried all week because everyone kept telling me about the fires that were happening in SoCal! Yes that news even was a big deal down here! The crazy part was that no one could give me details! So all I was hearing was, "Hey you live in California right? Well there are a bunch of huge fires near Los Angeles!" So I was a little worried. But I figured that if something bad happened I would be informed. But today I was glad to hear that all is good and everyone is safe! 

Last Monday night we headed over to Irmã Leide's house to have a family night with them! She is the lady in our ward who has two sons and her husband isn't a member! We LOVE that family so we were excited and anxious to teach Anizio (the husband). BUT, he got away! Right when we showed up he was leaving to go buy some medicine because he had been sick! When he got back it was literally right as we finished the message! We got to spend the last few minutes with him though. He is such a great man but I think he just doesn't feel the need for a change in his life. That is one of the biggest obstacles as a missionary that I have discovered. People feel comfortable with their lives and feel like they don't need a change, like they don't need the Savior in their lives. It makes me a bit sad because everyone needs the Savior. Anyway, our family night was good and with Anizio we have to just love him and his family and be patient! One day, I believe, he will be a member! 

Tuesday we had a nice day and our last appointment was with Marlene! We went over to visit her and Evely since Evely had stopped progressing but only Marlene was home. We had a really nice discussion with her about trials and why we have them. She has a few friends and neighbors that are going through some tough times and have some illnesses. I got to talk a little bit about Sue Robles and what I felt and the family felt during the time she was sick and slipping away! It was a nice little visit and we felt the Spirit strongly. Elder Estevam said a very nice prayer at the end and specifically blessed all the people that Marlene was worried about. I love prayer! 

Wednesday morning we had a Zone meeting! Elder Estevam and I decided to set one up with our zone even though next week we will have our big Christmas Zone Conference with President Bangerter and Sister Bangerter and the other zone here in Salvador. We felt that our zone needed to hear all the new things and some of the trainings that we heard last week at the leadership council! So we had a great meeting! I started by using a few scriptures that Sister Bangerter used. First, Jacob 5:62 "62 Wherefore, let us go to and labor with our might this last time, for behold the end draweth nigh, and this is for the last time that shall prune my vineyard" 
I talked about how this is the last month of 2017 and that we have to give our all! This is the last chance this year that we have to work in the Lord's vineyard. Then I shared verse 72, "And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lorof the vineyard labored also with them; and they did obey the commandments of the Lord othe vineyard in all things." It was a great meeting and everyone is excited for our Christmas Zone Conference next Monday. 

We had a tough experience with Rosalvo this week. Wednesday we went over and had a nice lesson with him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ! He seemed to understand it and was excited when we talked about baptism. He said he was going to be at church this week too so we were really excited! But then friday we headed back. We had called him earlier in the day to see if we could go over and he said yes and seemed excited on the phone. When we knocked on his door he came and answered and started to tell us that he was sorry. We pretty quickly realized that he was drunk. He started saying that this wasn't for him and that he couldn't follow God. He even asked us if we wanted the Book of Mormon back. He was really sad which made us sad. He was apologizing a lot and acting strange. He told us that we are cool guys but that he doesn't want more. We ended up leaving and I didn't know what to think! I was so sad because he had said he was doing so well not drinking lately! We don't know really what happened but the rest of the week we tried to call him and he didn't answer. We passed by his place once and no one answered! We figured we would go back when he wasn't drunk so we could really figure out what is going on. So now we need a miracle to find him and hope we can help him! Only time will tell! 

Thursday we had a cool experience too! We headed over to Itapuã, which is another area in our zone, to do a baptismal interview! Well during the interview with the young woman, I was sitting in the family room of the house with the other elders and with her mom! We started talking and she was asking a bunch of questions about missionaries! We found out that she wants her daughter, the one who got baptized, to serve a mission! It was an awesome thing to hear! Her mom is also an investigator and she hadn't seen the Christmas video yet so we watched it with her right there and she loved it! I hope everyone is still doing #LightTheWorld!! We are doing it here and it is awesome! 

Yesterday (Sunday) was an awesome day! A bunch of awesome stuff happened. Firstly, Evely showed up at church with her mom, Marlene! We were shocked! But she had a great time and even said the closing prayer after Gospel Principles! So now we have renewed hope for her! Secondly, I got to speak in church! I spoke about rescuing the lost and I used the three parables from Luke 15 to base my talk off of! It went great I think! Thirdly, after church we went with a lady in our ward to give a blessing to a sick man. It was really interesting because the guy has cancer in his brain and has gotten bad really quickly. He is 23 but we went over to give him a blessing. He responded to our questions with a thumbs up and we gave him a priesthood blessing. His family aren't members and neither is he but they have faith in God and that is what is important. It was a humbling experience! 

So I think that is all for this week! Next time I write you all I will be 20 YEARS OLD!!! What the heck? I am so old haha! And next week I will write everyone on Tuesday because we have our Christmas conference Monday and P-day will be Tuesday

Love you all! Have a great week! 

Elder Spencer P. Christofferson

Elder Tavaras. Great to see him and happy he's in my Zone. 
Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment