Monday, September 18, 2017

"I just love this work so much, it's crazy!"

Two Zone Zone Conference with only 5 missionaries (one not pictured) who are from the US! 

Hi Everybody, 
How are you all? I hope everyone had a fantastic week that was filled with adventures and happiness! Our week here in Salvador Brasil was another great one! We saw many miracles and felt the Spirit daily. You can ask for nothing more as a missionary. I just love this work so much, it's crazy! 

So last Monday night we went to visit Thailane! We taught her about the commandments and it was a great lesson! The coolest part was at the end when we asked her if she would commit to living the commandments we had taught her about. We got such a frank answer from her, I just loved it. She said, "Yes, of course! It's all easy stuff." I was a little shocked but then thought, "Wow what a great answer! haha." If we all could have that attitude I think everyone would be better off! Keeping the commandments IS easy! We just have to think like that and then it will be! Thailane is awesome. More on her later. 

Wednesday morning we had a fantastic Zone Conference with the two zones from Salvador again! It was a great conference and I always love them! A few people don't like them because we are seated doing a lot of listening and taking notes but I actually really love it! I feel like I learn so much and get so strengthened as a missionary! One of the things that I liked the most from the conference was what the Assistants talked about. The first thing they did when they got up was write this on the board: "V.I.P.T.O.D." Just to let you know that acronym doesn't mean anything in Portuguese so everyone was confused. The AP’s then said maybe it will make more sense in English and wrote this: "L.I.V.E." I had not idea what it stood for. They explained in English it means "LIttle Victories Everyday" and it Portuguese "VIctorias Pequenas Todos ODias." We went on to talk about how we can all have our little victories everyday and that after a whole day of little victories we will have won the battle! It was really cool and we talked about little victories with things as simple as getting up and making your bed. It was a really great conference and I got lots of pictures afterwards as well. 

Wednesday night we went to visit Thailane again and this was supposed to be a big lesson because we needed to really see if she was ready to be baptized Saturday! We went and found out she was still really nervous about baptism. After a long talk with her we figured out that she was worried she would go inactive after her baptism. What followed was a immensely spiritual conversation about repentance and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It was perfect as we got to testify of the redeeming power of Jesus Christ and she understood. But she still wanted to postpone the baptism and we decided that was for the best! So we are hoping this week goes well with her! 

Thursday we visited with Suely and had a great visit! She is still progressing like crazy and is a whole new person from when I met her! Thursday I asked her if I could talk about a specific topic. She asked, "What do you want to talk about?" I replied with another question. "What were the two things you said we couldn't talk about if we visited you?" "Coffee and getting married." "Exactly" I said, "and coffee already fixed itself without us saying a word so I think I have permission now to talk about marriage" Haha!! It was a great visit! She knows she needs to get married and she really wants to go to the temple, but that she has to get married to the man she is living with first. Suely said a lot depends on Reginaldo, the guy, and he doesn't really want anything to do with the church or getting married. It was a great lesson to be able to start the conversation with her and we are praying a ton for them! 

Friday night we had a great experience with Thailane and her family! She lives with Fransisco, her grandpa, who is a member and is coming back to church too! We read a chapter from the Book of Mormon with them then we taught them how to do family prayer! It was so cool! President Bangerter had talked about that at the zone conference so we got to put it into practice and the Spirit was so strong as we all kneeled in that living room with Fransisco, Thailane, and the rest of the family while Fransisco prayed! It was so cool! Families are essential to God's plan! Remembering that is key! 

Saturday was a GREAT day! In the morning we got to go visit Viviane and Anna Beatriz! They were way busy the whole week so it was the first time we saw them all week! They are doing great like usual! Viviane is almost done with 1 Nephi. We watched the Joseph Smith movie with them and it was great! They were both a little shocked how tough it was for the pioneers of the Church. But we all felt the Spirit so strong! 

Saturday afternoon a miracle happened! We went ot visit Suely again. When we showed up Reginaldo, Suely's boyfriend who she has lived with for about 5 years, was there. We see him all the time and try to teach him but he always makes an excuse and leaves. But as we started to teach Suely he didn't leave!! Suely had a sweet smile on her face the whole time so I think she talked to him and asked him to stay! So we changed our lesson to be about the Restoration of the Gospel and it was great! Reginaldo committed to praying and reading and going to Church! And Sunday HE CAME TO CHURCH!!!! He has totally opened up to us out of nowhere! It was so amazing! Miracles are real! He loved church too! I hope he continues to progress!

Sunday afternoon was great as half of our ward showed up for a great activity! We all split into groups and went around a specific neighborhood in our area and looked for less active members! Our ward has about 1000 members on the records and our count on Sundays is usually around 130 so we’ve got A LOT of work to do! It was great to see the members get the missionary spirit more in their lives!

So I think that is my week! I love you guys! I love this gospel and it brings more happiness into lives than any other earthly thing! I KNOW that! We can and should live the Gospel of Jesus Christ with a joy that is contagious! I love you all! Have a great week!
Elder Spencer P. Christofferson
My New Zone Leader- Elder Estevam, one of our new Zone Leaders and one of my new best friends out here. 
Elder Brito, one of the new AP's

Sister German and I, She was in my first zone and in the same zone as me when I was in Conquista and now she is in our zone again. She goes home the next transfer. 

Elder Pereira and I together again-- at least for the moment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment